Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Little Tour of my Studio

The previous owners of our home had two small children. The boy's room was painted with bright primary colored planes, trains and automobiles on all four walls. Because of the room's location, I decided this would be my studio.
First step was to paint a creamy pink color. My storage boxes wouldn't fit in the closet , so I took the doors off. (My husband, clever boy that he is, used the closet doors to make a new cupboard door in the garage.) I made a curtain out of a sheet, added some lace, and hung it with a tension rod.
You can click on the pictures for a larger view. *

Here's the "behind the curtain" shot:

*

I purchased two of these desks, a cradenza, hutch and filing drawer years ago from Scandanavian Designs. I previously painted this shelf black to match the desks but I'm thinking I'm going to paint everything that's black to off-white. Just tired of the black. Oh yes, and that chair has been re-upholstered three times. This last time, I made a quicky slipcover in off-white fleece and it looks terrrrrrible. I've even slipped a pillow case over the back. I'm thinking about a new chair anyway.
I bought this old 1950's Singer portable (that weighs about 30 pounds) at a yard sale a few years ago for $10. I love the apple green color. I use it to sew my bears. It's a workhorse that will last another 60 years, I expect.
I made the magnet board out of a piece of welder's sheet metal from Lowes and a frame from Michael's that I got half off and spray painted. Made the memo board on the shelf out of leftover valance fabric. I also do all my painting and paper craft work on this table.

*
I can't miss any of my HGTV shows or Project Runway just because I'm working on a project, you know.

*

I do all my sewing (other than the bears) on this Janome, which I also love. The window looks out onto my beautiful Japanese Maple and the front yard and with northern exposure, the lighting is just right for me. I'd love to paint the chair but it is occasionally used at the kitchen table and matches those chairs.

*
This is one of those chrome racks; practical but oh so ugly and industrial looking. So, I made it a pretty dress with tulle and ribbons and pretty buttons. I attached large paint stirring sticks all around the top with plastic ties (you know, like the ones they use for hand cuffs). Then I glued and stapled Velcro to them. I made two curtains and sewed Velcro around the top and attached them so that the opening is down the front with a 6 inch overlap.

*
And behind curtain number two. I have no patience when it comes to looking for things, so I've labled all my storage boxes too.



*
I got the boxes in the hutch at Target on sale and spray painted them. They were bright red before. I hung name badge holders on them which hold a bland business card. I write the contents of the box on the card. Otherwise, I'd be looking for things forever. The little cabinet next to the cradenza has now been painted three times. It's pale pink and green now. In fact everything in this room that is pink, green or off-white has been painted to be that color.
*
This is my fur rack. I designed it and my dad built it for me. It's really just two hinged "A" frames with dowels in between (ladder style). Fur is hanging on both sides, mostly fat quarters and one yard size pieces. My patterns are hanging from a belt holder ring thingy.
*
My larger pieces of fur (1.5 to 2 yard cuts) have overflown into the guest room next door. My cutting table is in here and the fur gets thrown from table to bed and back whenever I need to cut out fabric.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I came by to see your sewing machine. Looks like you have a green lamp there too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails